The following is a brief historical timeline listing major events in the
history of our organization.
1892 - 1908
1908 - 1917
Chief Joseph W. Crowdy assumes leadership
at the demise of Prophet Crowdy in August.
Until his demise on January 1, Chief J. W. Crowdy continued to preach the
gospel and promote the work of the Prophet.
Bishop William H. Plummer assumed
leadership and moved from Boston, Massachusetts to Philadelphia.
1917 - 1931
Bishop William H. Plummer transferred
headquarters from Philadelphia, PA to Belleville (Suffolk), Virginia.
By this time under the leadership of Bishop Plummer, Belleville had grown to
become one of the elite African American communities in the Tidewater, Virginia
area with a variety of farmlands, trades, athletic teams, and a-cappella singing
groups! Also by this time, the Belleville Industrial School and Widows and
Orphans Home was incorporated.
1931 - 1975
After the demise of Bishop William H. Plummer,
Counselor Calvin S. Skinner consecrated
Elder Howard Z. Plummer as leader of the
organization on December 28th. By this time, the Men and Women's Developing
Association (M&WDA) was organized.
The Young People's Improvement League (YPIL) was organized this year,
and we first observed Founder's Day on November 8th (now called
The Belleville Industrial School and Widows and Orphans Home received
a permanent license.
In the early 1960's, the congregation under the leadership of
Rabbi Howard Z. Plummer began to more
fully embrace Judaism. Previously, the congregation practiced and adhered to
some of the basic tenets of Judaism, however, did not use the terminology. Since
that time the congregation has observed more of the customs and holidays
mandated in the Torah.
A national brotherhood, the Sons of Abraham was organized.
1975 - 2001
Rabbi Howard Z. Plummer passed the mantle of leadership to
Rabbi Levi S. Plummer in March.
By this time, Belleville Meadows, an apartment complex in Suffolk,
VA, was completed. Rabbi Levi S. Plummer headed the construction of
Phase One of the Temple Complex, Temple Beth El, in October
1979. Phase One was dedicated on November 8, 1980.
Phase Two of Temple Beth El was completed and dedicated at
the Passover in April. By this time, the Experienced Citizens Industrial
and Entertainment Center (ECIEC) was organized by Rabbi Plummer.
William H. Plummer Plaza, a 52-unit senior housing community, was
erected in October.
The Centennial Era begins as the congregation celebrated the
Centennial Celebration of Prophet William S. Crowdy's Revelation on
September 11-13 in Belleville. At this sacred occasion,
The Saints' Memorial, a monument commemorating the purchase of
Belleville by Prophet Crowdy, was dedicated.
On August 30th - September 1st, the congregation celebrated the Centennial
Celebration, commemorating the 100th anniversary of our religious organization.
The Levi Solomon Plummer Learning Center, a children's day-care center,
was opened in September serving the Hampton Roads, VA area.
At the Passover, Rabbi Levi S. Plummer announced Project 2001, a
5-year fund-raising plan for the redevelopment of Belleville, our International
Headquarters in Suffolk, Virginia.
The Daughters of Jerusalem and Sisters of Mercy celebrated its
100th Anniversary in August.
In October, over a thousand members and friends joined the Philadelphia, PA
Tabernacle for their 100th Anniversary Celebration since their inception by
Prophet William S. Crowdy.
The official web site of our organization, located at the URL
launched during the Opening Session of the General Assembly on August 6th.
Project 2001 culminates on August 11th with a grand banquet. The Suffolk
Planning Commission and City Council pass the project design in September.
2001 - Present